Monday, March 19, 2012

On Writing Author Interview: Bonnie Gail Carter


To avoid pre-conceived notions which can sometimes be connected with certain genres, the number of books published and/or an author's appearance, none of that information will be revealed until the bottom of the interview.   So pour a cup of coffee, have a seat, and check out this interview - see how much, or how little, you have in common with this published author.

ON WRITING:
What is your favorite part of being a writer?
Being a writer allows me to say what I want to say how I want to say it. My life experiences can be shared with people with similar experiences. It's my hope that we can make a connection in having similar feelings and thoughts about these experiences.

What is your least favorite part?
My least favorite part of being a writer is waiting for the inspiration to write.

Name one obstacle you've had to overcome.
My fear of worrying what other people think.

Is there a specific part of your writing you're working on to improve?
Each time I write I see room for improvement. While I am writing I am a creation in progress.

What part of your writing makes you particularly proud?
My writing makes me proud when I find the right words to express myself adequately. Good reviews make me proud. Validation through an honor certificate or some other means makes me proud. It's always in my mind that I can do better after each project though.

What does your favorite main character have in common with you?
So far my writing has been based on my own experiences in life.

Do you do a lot of research for your projects or do you only write about what you already know?
All of my writing has been about what I already know so far. Research may play a role in my next projext.

How do you use the internet for your writing?
When I do start using research it will play a major roll in my writing.

If you've won any awards for your writing, what impact do you think that has had?
It makes me feel like I've really made a difference. Recognition can energize me to keep on writing.

What one marketing tool have you had good success with?
Ahh success, I'm still reaching for the stars on that word. The best marketing tools are social networks, interviews, perseverence, and to keep on writing.

What good writing habits have you developed that you think would be helpful to someone starting out?
Do whatever it takes to get inspiration to write. My inspiration comes from listening to music and a lot of prayer. Research is a great tool to use also.

Do you have any bad writing habits that you'd advise writers to avoid?
Try not to start out sentences with the word I very often.

Do you have any strange writing habits?
If listening to music for inspiration is strange. Usually I spend a lot of time thinking about what I am going to write before I put it on paper. That's probably common though.

When you're not writing, do you read, and if so, what?
Goodreads and Linkedin groups such as Books and Writers inspires me to want to read more authors. I'm looking forward to reading According to Luke by Rosanne Dingli.

What are you trying to accomplish with/through your writing?
It's been therapy for me. If my writing can help just one person by giving insight to a problem than I have done my job as a writer.

What advice do you have for someone looking to get published?
Learn how to self publish and market your work. If you have to find people willing to help you self publish for free or for a small fee. Never give a percentage for publication. I learned that the hard way.

So, any thoughts?  Here's the full scoop:
From Bonnie Gail Carter’s blog:  Hi everyone, I started a journal when I was 16 years old and did it for a while. In my mid 20′s I started writing poetry. When I came to the conclusion that I would never get published I quit writing. Now I’m 56 years old and trying to write again. I’ll let you be the judge of that.

Bonnie’s titles include, in her own words:  My ebook That's Life is poetry. My ebook Temporary Homes is a fictionalized memoir.  That's Life can be purchased at http://xlibris.com/bookstore or on Amazon. Temporary Homes is not yet available.

THE FUTURE
What are you working on now?
I haven't decided what my next project will be but I am thinking about it a lot of the time.

PARTING WORDS
Any thing else about being a writer that you'd like to share?
If you have a dream to write then just go for it. It's never too young or too old to start writing.

Where can people learn more about you?

Is there anything else you'd like to know about this author, or any questions you'd like added to future interviews?  Let us know...drop us a comment below.




3 comments:

  1. Hi Bonnie,
    Very interesting interview.
    I became a follower. If you like to follow me as well, please go to my site.
    Thank you and have a wonderful day.
    Gigi

    http://maticatalon.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  2. This to me, is an exceptional interview. Why, because the Author that was interviewed, is my Big Sis! Congratulations Sis. We are all very excited and proud, of your successful achievement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Gigi. I will follow you.
    Thanks sis for your love and support.

    ReplyDelete